Flipkart - Search Bar

Monday, October 27, 2014

Book Review : ‘God is a Gamer' by Ravi Subramanian



Firstly, I must tell you that I have not read a single Ravi Subramanian book before this. Secondly, I might as well add that I am really wondering what was wrong with me. Thirdly, is revenge a crime?

Considering that 'God is a Gamer' took more than a month to get to my desk, I can say that I was curious enough to get to it and finish it at one go. But, I could not, though nevertheless it is quite the excellent book. A mix of finance, gaming technology, even romance, lust and politics, all together to form the effervescent thriller. 

I must also add that I felt that there was a little too much of everything, and perhaps it could have done with fewer pages.

The story is a go-between New York, Washington, down to India’s Mumbai, Delhi, Goa and even the Andamans. It has characters in almost all these parts, and a web of plots and intrigue is laid out. All the main parts are interconnected and it is actually amazing to read, how and why they are so.

It is called the bitcoin thriller, so an obvious explanation is there. The advent of digital currency and the many places it is used is all explained in detail. Thank you Ravi Subramnian, I do not think I have ever had a better explanation. But, the bitcoins are not what build the story, but the elements, which help it go further.

Let’s get back to the story. The story begins with the bitcoin meet between two
bankers and a US Senator. It moves on to India and its involvement in the entire process, and then to the gaming industry and its various elements. It also has the story’s bit of love, lust and friendship.

Seemingly, unrelated events that bring about the end in this thriller. How the whole thing unravels and how it builds towards the end form the rest of the story. The short chapters make for the excitement and hurry in which, I read the story. A few places, where I found errors was not very expected due to the standard of the book.

I would say that it is a definite must read, though one must form one’s own conclusions. I, for one liked the book, but did not love it.


Author: Ravi Subramanian
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Penguin Books
ISBN: 978-0-143-42139-9
Price: Rs 299/-



No comments: