Flipkart - Search Bar

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Author Interview : Malavika Nataraj, author of 'Suraya's Gift' (Part 1)



Malavika Nataraj

Read up, ‘Suraya’s Gift’ author, Malavika Nataraj’s Interview. From the time, I read the book, I usually expect to imagine and dream, because that is what this story represents. 

A childlike imagination and stories, which just might come true, and an author to help the kids try it, Folks…


How did 'Suraya's Gift' happen? Could you describe the journey?

Working as a freelance writer means that there is little room for creativity. But since creative writing has always been a passion, I decided one day to finally send out a manuscript and see where it could go. 

The team at Penguin liked it and the rest is history, as they say!


How did the story, especially Suraya's and the story catcher's, come about?

I was a child, who loved to write and who always had a big imagination – very much like Suraya. So, I think that’s where my inspiration for the story came from. 

I started writing a story that I could read to my daughters, and that just evolved into 'Suraya’s Gift'.


What according to you is different about your book?

I think my book  - and the whole series, I am planning, called The Story Catcher Children – is about kids who love to write. And I want to get kids interested in creative writing again. Not on devices, not on a keypad but just simply with a pencil, a sheet of paper and their imagination. 

I believe this message comes through in the book and for me, that’s what makes this book different. The story can also be understood and absorbed on many different levels.

Adults reading it have told me that they loved the depth of the book. So I’d say that it is a book for both kids and adults.


How would you relate the lives of characters to the lives today? Any similarities?

I think any child of any nationality would relate to Suraya. She could be the average girl next door. 

The story is not set within a particular time frame nor in a specific geographical location, so I think this also makes it relatable to people anywhere the world.



You can Read my Review here
 You can Buy the Book, here 
 


No comments: