Flipkart - Search Bar

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Author Interview : Anuja Chandramouli, author of ‘Kartikeya : The Destroyer's Son' (Part 2)

Read up, the second part of the Interview with Anuja Chandramouli, author of 'Kartikeya : The Destoryer's Son'. Here, she explains how she explains, how she feels plugging the holes in the Sons of Shiva's phase, which her favourite character is besides Kartikeya, the most challenging and fulfilling parts are in writing the book, and two other books that were released around Kartikeya, Folks...
  
How does it feel, now that you are plugging the holes in the 'Sons of Shiva’s phase’?

I tend to get impatient with the tendency of many folks to treat half remembered tales that have been haphazardly handed down as the gospel truth and fight each other over it. It is the height of ridiculousness.

I am glad you mentioned the holes in the existing narratives, because it is important to look past the obvious and accepted versions to arrive at deeper truths and the beautiful essence of Indian Mythology, before it was sterilized and politicized.

This is what I have tried to do in my books on ‘Arjuna’, ‘Kamadeva’, ‘Shakti’, ‘Yama’ and now ‘Kartikeya’. I have reinterpreted the existing texts and used my imagination to arrive at a version that makes sense to me.

And I expect my readers to join me on the journey and form their own conclusions that may or may not be at odds with mine.

How would you relate the life of Kartikeya to the lives today? Any similarities?

Writing my books is an intensely personal experience and I am always surprised at how relevant it all is to the many issues and problems, we all face on a daily basis.

Kartikeya may have been Shiva's Son and powerful in his own right but like all of us, he had to deal with the demons within, before dealing with those without.

And he too experienced love and loss, and the entire gamut of see-sawing emotions before he learned to be at peace.

To my gratification, readers usually tell me that they love how contemporary and timeless, the themes explored in my books are which makes it easy for them to identify with the characters.

Which is your favourite character besides Kartikeya? Why?

Tough one! I love all my characters! But if I had to choose, it would be Devasena, Kartikeya's consort.  She is no helpless Hannah or the good, dutiful wife who does exactly what is expected of her.

Instead she fights by Kartikeya's side and makes her own way in the world. I also liked Nesha, for obvious reasons and it gives me a huge kick to know that this version of classical lore is unique.

Shiva and Parvati, who are the perfectly imperfect couple, are adorable. I also like the Asura brothers - Soora, Simha and Taraka. Even Indra, who I am really mean to in my books is like an old friend! Did I mention Chitra, the fun sidekick?

What were the most challenging and fulfilling parts about writing this
book?

The challenge was to take familiar themes and come up with something different. I am satisfied with how the book shaped up and it has been a wonderfully fulfilling experience which will always have a special place in my heart.

What about the two books, which were released along with Kartikeya?

Prithviraj Chauhan : The Emperor of Hearts and Padmavati : The Burning Queen mark my first foray into historical fiction. I am really excited about both.

Like Mythology, history is another subject where people who can't be bothered with research attack others over largely fictitious accounts of what went down centuries ago.

With Prithvi and Padma, I have attempted to recapture a slice of the past to help people look at the bigger picture and put things in perspective.

Now that you have written three books already in such a short period
of time, what else can we expect from you in the next year?

Come on, you don't expect me to answer that question and ruin the suspense do you? ;)


You can Read the Review, the First part to this Interview and also, Buy the Book right here, too.


No comments: